Born in Manisa in 1966, Dr. Süleyman Engin Akhan completed his secondary and high school education in Saint Benoit French Male School in between 1977-1985, had medical education in between 1986-1992 in Medical Faculty of Uludağ University. He served his obligatory service between Feb 1993 and July 1993 in Adıyaman Besni Tuberculosis Control Dispensary as Chief Doctor and earned his residency in Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics in Istanbul University Medical Faculty by passing the examination for specialty in medicine and completed his residency between 1993 and 1997.
He served as chief assistant in Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics in Istanbul University Medical Faculty between 5.11.1997 – 12.03.2003 and earned his degree of associate professorship on the date 12.03.2003.
He earned his title ‘Professor’ from the Senate and Managing Board of Istanbul University on 17.12.2009 due to his academic work.
He serves in jury of many respectful international scientific journals such as Maturitas, European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine and he was a member and accountant of Turkish Association of Gynecology and Obstetrics Istanbul Branch Management Board in 2004-2006, member of Turkish Association of Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery in 2005-2007 and he conducted management board membership and accountancy of Turkish Association of Gynecology and Obstetrics in 2006-2010. He is now a delegate of Turkish Association of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Istanbul.
According to one year of evaluation of Specialty Board of Medicine in Turkish Ministry of Health, Prof. Dr. Süleyman Engin Akhan earned the right to have the certificate for specialty of “Gynecologic Oncologic Surgeon”. Thus, it has been certified by Specialty Board of Medicine in Turkish Ministry of Health that he is authorized to both conduct gynecologic cancer surgeries and educate specialists who wants to do these surgeries.
You can see file of application by Prof. Dr. Süleyman Engin Akhan from the link below.
He took a place in a Urogynecologic Science Deparment in a University in Turkey for the first time along with Prof. Dr. Önay Yalçın in 2013.
Now he keeps conducting management board membership of Association of Adolescence Health, in which he is a founding member. As a management board of AAH, they organized the Congress of European Adolescence Health in 2012, the Congress of Global Adolescence Health in 2013.
As in 2014, he has 36 published scientific articles in International Journals and he has prizes he earned in International Congresses.
Dr. Akhan, who is an active member of Northern America Menopause Society and American Association for Gynecologic Laparoscopy was invited to scientific board of “16th International Congress of the International Society of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISPOG)” in 2010 in Venice.
Prof. Dr. Süleyman E. Akhan is a teaching academician in Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics of Istanbul University Medical Faculty and he is a guest teacher in Koç University Medical Faculty. Dr. Akhan is married and a father of 2 children.
- 2006 European Contraception Congress, The Best Poster (1st) Prize; Süleyman Engin Akhan, Oskay U., Alıcı E., Güngör F., Topuz S., Iyibozkurt C., Yalçın O. The Factors Affecting Female Sexual Function and the Relation with Different Contraception Methods. The 9th. Congress of The European Society of Contraception. İstanbul. The Eur. J. Contraception and Reprod. Health Care. 2006: 11(Supplement 1); 148-14. (poster+verbal presentation) (The Best Poster)
- 2006 European Congress of Menopause Best Poster 3rd Prize; Süleyman Engin Akhan, Oskay U., Alıcı E., Güngör F., Yalçın O. The factors affecting sexual function and the effects of hormonal therapy on postmenopausal women ın Turkey. EMAS 7th European Congress on Menopause. Maturitas 2006: 54 (Supplement 1); 86. (poster+verbal presentatio) (Best Posters 3rd Prize)
- 2001 National Gynecology and Obstetrics Congress 1st Prize; Süleyman Engin Akhan, T.Gürel, A.Turfanda, Ö.Tanör. Effects of long term hormone replacement on attention, verbal and visual memory 3. National Gynecology and Obstetrics Congress Program and Report Book. 13-16 September, İstanbul 2001: 27 (Verbal presentation) first Prize in Every Poster and Verbal Presentations..
His academic articles which were published in international journals in 2013-2014 are below:
- Celik O, Hatipoglu E, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Uludag S, Kadioglu P. Acromegaly is associated with higher frequency of female sexual dysfunction: experience of a single center. Endocr J. 2013;60(6):753-61
- Kale-Gürbüz T, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Baştu E, Telci A, İyibozkurt AC, Topuz S. Adiponectin, leptin and ghrelin levels in obese adolescent girls with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2013;26(1):27-30.
- Alıcı-Davutoğlu E, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Baştu E, Güngör-Uğurlucan F, İyibozkurt AC, Topuz S. Impact of Premature Ovarian Failure on Factors Associated with Bone Loss in Karyotypically Normal Patients. Minerva Ortopedica e Traumatologica. 2013;64(1):89-96.
- Baştu E, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Özsürmeli M, Galandarov R, Sözen H, Güngör-Uğurlucan F, İyibozkurt AC. Acute hemorrhage related to spontaneous rupture of an uterine fibroid: a rare case report. European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology. 2013;34(3):271-272.
- Baştu E, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Karamustafaoğlu B, Güngör-Uğurlucan F, Sözen H, İyibozkurt AC. Hemoperitoneum and acute abdomen caused by the rupture of ovarian granulosa cell tumor: a case report. European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology. 2013;34(3):263-264.
- Baştu E, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Karamustafaoğlu B, Güngör-Uğurlucan F, Sözen H, İyibozkurt AC. A rare case of lymphangiomyomatosis treated with leuprolide acetate: five-years follow up. European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology. 2013;34(3):278-279.
- Yağmur E, Baştu E, Karamustafaoğlu-Balcı B, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Buyru F. Non-invasive diagnosis of endometriosis based on a combined analysis of four plasma biomarkers. Central European Journal of Immunology. 2013;38(2):154-158.
- Kurtoglu-Aksoy N, Süleyman Engin Akhan, Bastu E, Gungor-Ugurlucan F, Telci A, Iyibozkurt AC, Topuz S. Implications of premature ovarian failure on bone turnover markers and bone mineral density. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2014;41(2):149-153.
- Süleyman Engin Akhan, Bastu E, Gungor-Ugurlucan F, Iyibozkurt AC, Topuz S. A deceiving disease in women for clinicians: peritoneal tuberculosis. Clin. Exp. Obstet. Gynecol. 2014;41(2):132-134.
- Gungor Ugurlucan F, Bastu E, Gulsen G, Kurek Eken M, Süleyman Engin Akhan. OHVIRA syndrome presenting with acute abdomen: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Imaging. 2014; 38(3):357-359.